Thursday, June 19, 2014

Emigration Information of the Nineteenth Century



Most genealogists would be delighted to have the detailed information that I have on my ancestor's emigration from Kerry, Ireland to the New World. I have the name of the ship and the Captain. I know how long the trip lasted (45 days) and many other important and interesting details.

Emigration Year c. 1825

I also know that the time period (give or take a few years) circa1825 (given that the family arrived in Windsor in 1828 after having spent three years in Pennsylvania.)

But what if, even loaded with all of that rich information, you find yourself at a "relative dead end"? No records of departure or arrival, no passenger list, no ship information etc?


Our wonderful source for the emigration information, Timothy Moynahan ,""came over when I was nine years of age, my folks settling in Pennsylvania where we lived three years before coming to Windsor."

More details from my blog post :The voyage from the old sod": "The Thomas of Cork, Captain Bamfield , master, was the ship upon which we sailed. She was an old war remnant, as slow as molasses in January and the trip occupied six weeks and three days." 

Old War Ship: The Thomas of Cork


I found a ship called the Thomas sailed twice from Cork in 1820 (based on the Quebec Mercury) and would certainly qualify as "an old war remnant" as Timothy put it:


Aug 13
1820
Ship Thomas and Mary
Master
J. Dysart
Sailed
49 days
From
Cork
7 officers and 86 men of the Royal Artillery
to Govie


Aug 29
1820
Ship Thomas
Master
Wm Bothwick
Sailed
11 July
From
Portsmouth
46 officers and men of the 76th, 37th, 60th and 70th regt.
To R. Hamilton & Co


62 Women, A Flute Player and A Piper Aboard

This is an important clue from Timothy  about who will appear on the passenger list:
"A lonely voyage it would have been too if it had not been for the fact that there were sixty-two women, a flute player and a piper aboard. The women were wives of soldiers that were serving the crown in this country, and they were coming over to join their husbands."

Captain Bamfield Master

 Or could it be Captain James Banfill?
Emigration from Cork to America 1800-1833
My search for more emigration information on my ancestors continues. I have compiled a list of helpful links below.

EmigrationLinks

No comments:

Post a Comment